Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Giving this blog-thing an earnest shot!

Hello, Hi, How are you?

          As the title of this post states, I'm going to give this blogging thing another shot in earnest. I've been reading some wonderful articles written by social activists, women, and people of color ...and what can I say? I feel inspired. Inspired to turn writing from something I do in private to something I can share with the world. It may not be very organized right now, but I am excited to share what is moving me and developing this blog into a platform for my professional, artistic and personal story.

          So one bit of good news to announce; at the end of this week I am teaching the first *official* installment of my writing workshop at the U. From day one of putting this together, I have been passionate about making our writing practice together into something that is truly collaborative. Over the past few weeks as I have been introduced to some of my future students, I can't help but be in awe at their motivation, confidence, commitment to social justice, and, of course, the fieeerce and bold style they put into their work and studies. I am so excited to work with them and read what they create. One of the goals of this workshop is to give the students a chance to create written and video content for their shared blog, www.centerthemargins.com.

          While I'm working on content with the students, I hope to hold myself to a higher standard on this blog and post more regularly. I have waaay too many unfinished posts so I am just going to start again and try to develop some regular features about music, storytelling, films, beautiful photography, and uplifting articles I find in the news or on other blogs.

Story Tellers
Anyone close to me knows how much I love listening to podcasts like the Moth, The New Yorker's Fiction podcast, Selected Shorts, This American Life and all its spinoffs. Listening to people's stories, whether creative or biographical, I can really related to their struggles, foibles, and fears...it makes me confident that there is some shared human experience that bind us. This week, I really enjoyed listening to cartoonist Matt Diffee's telling of his first submission to the New Yorker's cartoon contest and the struggles of young adulthood

What Am I Listening to?
Well, it would be an understatement to say that I am "into" the great tunes of the 90's and early 2000's. Currently, I've been really into Tamia, especially her song "So Into You"


          Finally, I am linking up with my old classmate's blog, Renaissante. In the brief period of time Olivia and I were in school together, it was clear that she was a beautiful, confident woman and I am so pleased to see what she has been working on. She and her blogging partner, Jenn, have put together what they are calling the "28 Day Self Love Challenge." Though I am a bit late in the game, I am going to blogalong with their prompts and topics and describe how they resonate with me... starting tomorrow morning!

Until then, 
Good night and take care of yourself
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment